Towers and fortress of Cesenatico


Pretoria Tower of Cesenatico The Fortress of Cesenatico The Heraldic Shield of Ambroni Town Tower of Cesenatico


back: Cesenatico

Town Tower of Cesenatico

 >  Cesenatico

The Torre Civica of Cesenatico was built in 1580 by Pietro Ghisleri, superintendent of Romagna. It rose at the western side of today's Piazza Pisacane, once called Piazza Grande, connection to a road coming from Cesena that ran alongside the canal.

Placed on a pointed arch, it represented the entrance to the city's centre. The tower bore a valued mechanical clock, a donation to the city by Pope Gregory XIII. It was a clock with two quadrants, one facing the seaside and the other facing the countryside.

By analysing the reproductions of the tower in old printings, especially in the View of the Port of Cesenatico, engraved by Sebastiano Sassi in 1776, one can assume that the tower was a high square construction. It rose on a sound talus, drilled by a barrel vault. The entrance arch, at least the one towards the village, seemed to be framed by a textured ring nut. From top to bottom, a niche was found above the arch, followed by the clock, and finished with a bell-chamber open in an arch shape on each side. To cover it, there was a pyramidal shaped roof.

A terrible earthquake in 1875 caused the collapse of part of the tower structure and it became unstable and dangerous. For this reason, it was knocked down. Some years after the earthquake it was decided on the construction of another town tower, near the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace). To make room for the tower, the old San Giuseppe Church was demolished. It had already been deconsecrated for some time and used as a school during summer times. The position of the new tower was determined by its visibility, since another clock was put up, with a quadrant on each side, and which could be seen from any point of the city.

The tower was destroyed during the bombardments of the World War II, and today only pieces of the original foundation can be seen in Piazza Pisacane.

A. Cocchi

Trad. : A. Sturmer


Bibliography

B. Ballerin, Rocca, torre e fortino del Cesenatico. in: Romagna arte e storia n. 49, 1997, Editrice Romagna arte e storia, Rimini 1997
F. Santucci, Cesenatico, da porto di Cesena a Comune Edizioni Il ponte vecchio, Cesena, 1995
D. Gnola, Storia di Cesenatico Edizioni Il ponte vecchio, Cesena, 2001
D. Gnola, Cesenatico nella storia Edizioni Il ponte vecchio Cesena, 2008
M. Marini Calvani (a cura di), Schede di Archeologia dell'Emilia-Romagna, Bologna 1995
B. Farfaneti, Cesenatico romana. Archeologia e territorio, Ravenna 2000
C. Dondi Il porto di Cesenatico lo pensÚ Leonardo? in:www.bper.it/gruppobper/incontri

 

Tags:Alessandra Cocchi, A. Sturmer, tower, architecture, tourism, .

Stile:Cinquecento.

Per saperne di più sulla città di: Cesenatico

 



Per informazioni su questi dipinti clicca qui.

 





Nuova torre civica e Palazzo Comunale di Cesenatico in una foto del primo '900. Fonte: D. Gnola, Cesenatico nella storia Edizioni Il ponte vecchio Cesena, 2008



 

Questo sito utilizza i cookie. Accedendo a questo sito, accetti il fatto che potremmo memorizzare e accedere ai cookie sul tuo dispositivo. Clicca qui per maggiori informazioni. OK